No matter how clean your home is, spotted and stained upholstery on couches and chairs can make things look shabby. As much use as furniture gets on a daily basis, it’s no wonder that things get dirty and worn. Here are some tips on how to spot clean upholstery:
- Your first line of defense is to keep your upholstery clean with regular vacuuming. Doing this prevents that overall dingy look, and also keeps spills from being worse than they already are.
- Handle spills right away. The longer they sit, the more likely they will develop into a stain.
- Blot, don’t rub! Rubbing the spot simply sets it in. Blotting will help absorb as much of the liquid as possible. Use a clean, white cloth.
- For greasy stains, apply some cornstarch to the spot and let sit for 30 minutes. The cornstarch will absorb the grease.
- To treat spots, mix some dish soap and water, covering just the affected area. Let dry, and then brush fabric with an upholstery brush, vacuum.
Image via Shutterstock.com