- Use a HEPA (high efficiency particulate air) vacuum cleaner and use it weekly, even on hard surface flooring. When you sweep, much of the dust will go into the air, increasing discomfort.
- Wash your sheets weekly and dry thoroughly in the dryer to kill the dust mites that thrive in your bedding. Cover the mattress and pillows with dust mite proofing covers.
- Dust with a damp cloth instead of a dry one.
- Check your heating and cooling system’s air filter monthly and change it when it’s dirty. The filters trap airborne particles. When they get too dirty, they can redistribute those particulates into your air.
- Use the air conditioner during the pollen season instead of opening the windows.
- Replace the kitchen garbage can with one that has a tight cover and never let food sit in the sink overnight. Send it down the garbage disposal or throw it in the garbage.
- Wipe away any mold with a detergent or a vinegar and water solution.
Do you have more tips on how to allergy-proof an apartment? Share them in the comments below or on the Signature Pointe Facebook page!
Image via Shutterstock.com